Gynecomastia (sometimes referred to as “man boobs”) is a common condition that causes boys’ and men’s breasts to swell and become larger than normal. It is most common in teenage boys and older men.
What causes gynecomastia?
Gynaecomastia can have several causes.
- Hormone imbalance
- Older age
In rare cases, gynecomastia can be caused by:
- side effects of medication – such as anti-ulcer drugs or medication for heart disease
- illegal drugs - such as cannabis or anabolic steroids
- drinking too much alcohol
- a heatlh abnomality - such as kidney failure or liver desease
- Klinedelter's syndrome (a rare genetic disorder)
- lumps or infection in the testicles
The procedure done for gynecomastia is a surgery to remove the excess breast tissue and you may need to consider a post surgical garment to help with you healing such as the Gynaefix vest or the Torsofix vest.